Justice Lost & Found: The necessary proof to get to college

Our client’s daughter was born in a refugee camp 19 years ago. Babies born in the camp were not issued birth certificates. She came to the U.S. with her father and siblings when she was 5 years-old. At that time, she received her only government issued identification, which was an I-94 arrival record.

2 years ago, her father lost his wallet that contained her only identification document.

The client tried to contact a United Nations office to get proof of her travel history. The only record they could give her was proof that her family promised to repay the expense of her transportation to the U.S.

Without any resources to help his daughter, the client contacted us. We obtained proof that she entered school in August of 2005 and that she got a student ID and was a senior in high school in 2016.

With proof of the promise to repay the expense, the school records from 2005 and the student ID from 2016, we requested that Homeland Security reissue her I-94 arrival record which establishes her immigration status as a refugee.

Without proof of her immigration status, this graduating high school senior would not be able to get financial aid despite the fact that she was already accepted into college.

She and her father are grateful that our request was granted and that her I-94 was reissued.