Click here to learn about filing 2020 income taxes
Click here to learn about the Gilead breach of privacy lawsuit
We provide free legal services to Pennsylvanians and South Jerseyans living with HIV. Our staff is working remotely and ready to help.
Need Legal Help?
Call 215 587-9377 or 267-520-0024, Mon. – Fri., 9 – 5. Bilingual staff available. We also make home and hospital visits. Submit an on-line Intake Form and we will contact you within 8 business hours.
- PA Unemployment Compensation offers workshops on new system. Workshops in English and Spanish are scheduled for the weeks of May 10 – June 14. Topics include: How to Login; Payment Information; Status Updates; Appeals; Fact-Finding; and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). (5/10/21). Details.
- COVID-19 Reentry Payment Program. The City of Philadelphia Office of Reentry Partnerships is offering $500 for reentry support to people released from the Philadelphia Department of Prisons since 3/1/2020. For more information go to www.phila.gov/2021-03-31-covid-reentry-payment-program.
- Deadline to file taxes to receive 3rd stimulus payment is May 17, 2021. If you have not received yours, this flyer has instructions on how to file your taxes this year and get all of money you and your family are owed. (March 25, 2021)
- Centers for Disease Control eviction moratorium has been extended through June 30, 2021. Moratorium applies to tenants: expecting an income in 2021 <$198,000 for couples, $99,000 for individuals; seeking government assistance to make their rental payments; unable to pay rent because of COVID-19 hardships; and likely to become homeless if they are evicted. (3/29/21) Details.
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designated for Venezuela. TPS is a form of temporary immigration relief available to people from specific countries designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The TPS designation for Venezuela is effective March 9, 2021 through September 9, 2022. Venezuelan nationals, who desire TPS, must apply within the 180 registration period that ends on September 5, 2021. (3/8/21). Details
- DEADLINE FOR NEW UC PROGRAM: Unemployed workers previously self-employed and currently collecting traditional UC can now apply for the new Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) program. MEUC provides $100 in extra benefits. Applications must be submitted online by 3/12/2021. (2/22/21) Details
- SNAP benefits (formerly known as food stamps) are temporarily available for qualifying college students. This eligibility will remain in place until 30 days after the COVID public health emergency ends. (2/8/21) Details
- Individuals owed money from the IRS for missing stimulus payments can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 tax return. This is important for non-filers, who neither filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019, nor used the IRS Non-Filers Tool to claim their stimulus payments. (2/8/21) Details
- Pennsylvania Dept. of Labor and Industry issues updates on pandemic-related unemployment compensation programs. Scheduled to expire at the end of December 2020, these programs are now resumed as part of the federal CARES Act extensions. (2/1/21) Details
- Pennsylvanians experiencing homelessness now eligible for free photo ID from PENNDOT. (1/6/21) www.media.pa.gov
- The filing period for Liberians to apply for a green card under the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act (LRIF) has been extended from one year to two years. Applications under LRIF must be received at USCIS by December 20, 2021. Click here for more information.
- The 2020 LIHEAP program is open and accepting applications. LIHEAP is a federal program that provides financial heating assistance to qualified households. For more information
- This holiday season, please consider digging deeper than usual. For each gift of $250 or more, we will send you a snazzy AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania T-shirt. Please visit our donation page.
- Philadelphia county residential eviction lockouts are suspended through December 31, 2020.
- 5/22/2020 (Philadelphia Inquirer) HIV drug patients’ privacy violated by Gilead, lawsuit claims
Medical and Legal Partnership
The medical-legal partnership (MLP) model combines health and legal services at a single site of care. A multidisciplinary team of professionals works together to address medical and social/legal problems that have an impact on overall health. The AIDS Law Project has medical-legal partnerships with Garden State Infectious Disease Associates in Voorhees. NJ, Prevention Point Philadelphia, the…
Justice Written: Good Counsel Spring 2021 edition now available.
Check out the vital work the AIDS Law Project has done over the last six months. And while you’re there, don’t miss our staff selfies and sentiments about how we’ve sustained ourselves during the pandemic.
- Good Counsel, the AIDS Law Project’s semiannual newsletter, is distributed by mail and electronically. Join our mailing list to receive the next issue of Good Counsel