We’re hiring: AIDS Law Project seeks housing lawyer
It’s Income Tax season
We provide free legal services to Pennsylvanians and South Jerseyans living with HIV. Our staff is working remotely and ready to help.
- Leave a message at 215-587-9377 or 215-821-7899. Calls are returned within 8 business hours.
- For more ways to reach us click here.
- Check out our Coronavirus Bulletin Board for updates to benefits and services.
Need Legal Help?
Call 215 587-9377 or 215-821-7899, Mon. – Fri., 9 – 5. Bilingual staff available. We also make home and hospital visits. Submit an on-line Intake Form and we will contact you within 8 business hours.
- DEADLINE FOR NEW UC PROGRAM: Unemployed workers previously self-employed and currently collecting traditional UC can now apply for the new Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) program. MEUC provides $100 in extra benefits. Applications must be submitted online by 3/12/2021. (2/22/21) Details
- SNAP benefits (formerly known as food stamps) are temporarily available for qualifying college students. This eligibility will remain in place until 30 days after the COVID public health emergency ends. (2/8/21) Details
- Individuals owed money from the IRS for missing stimulus payments can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 tax return. This is important for non-filers, who neither filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019, nor used the IRS Non-Filers Tool to claim their stimulus payments. (2/8/21) Details
- Pennsylvania Dept. of Labor and Industry issues updates on pandemic-related unemployment compensation programs. Scheduled to expire at the end of December 2020, these programs are now resumed as part of the federal CARES Act extensions. (2/1/21) Details
- Pennsylvanians experiencing homelessness now eligible for free photo ID from PENNDOT. (1/6/21) www.media.pa.gov
- The filing period for Liberians to apply for a green card under the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act (LRIF) has been extended from one year to two years. Applications under LRIF must be received at USCIS by December 20, 2021. Click here for more information.
- The 2020 LIHEAP program is open and accepting applications. LIHEAP is a federal program that provides financial heating assistance to qualified households. For more information
- This holiday season, please consider digging deeper than usual. For each gift of $250 or more, we will send you a snazzy AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania T-shirt. Please visit our donation page.
- Philadelphia county residential eviction lockouts are suspended through December 31, 2020.
- 5/22/2020 (Philadelphia Inquirer) HIV drug patients’ privacy violated by Gilead, lawsuit claims
Medical and Legal Partnership
The medical-legal partnership (MLP) model combines health and legal services at a single site of care. A multidisciplinary team of professionals works together to address medical and social/legal problems that have an impact on overall health. The AIDS Law Project has medical-legal partnerships with Garden State Infectious Disease Associates in Voorhees. NJ, Prevention Point Philadelphia, the…
Justice Warmed: A little push goes a long way
One recent Friday morning, a young, single mother living with HIV placed a frantic call to our office. Her apartment’s heating system was broken, and she and her two children were cold. A day earlier, Philadelphia Gas Works had found safety violations in her furnace that needed immediate repair, so she contacted the property manager…
- Good Counsel, the AIDS Law Project’s semiannual newsletter, is distributed by mail and electronically. Join our mailing list to receive the next issue of Good Counsel