SERO Project Legal Fellowship at the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania (download)
AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania (ALPP) is a nonprofit, public interest law firm located in Philadelphia that provides legal representation, advocacy and referrals to people living with HIV (PLHIV) throughout Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey.
The SERO Project is a national nonprofit organization focused on ending HIV criminalization, mass incarceration, racism and social injustice by supporting inclusive PLHIV networks to improve policy outcomes, advance human rights and promote healing justice.
SERO is sponsoring a full-time paid fellowship at ALPP to work on policy reform nationally and provide direct support for those facing HIV criminalization in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Responsibilities will include:
• Participate as SERO’S representative at HIV criminalization meetings, forums, conferences and state coalition calls
• Monitor Bill Track 50 for HIV criminalization, communicable diseases and sex work
• Perform legal research and draft memorandum regarding HIV criminalization
• Draft and provide analysis of legislative bills and amendments for a variety of audiences
• Provide “rapid response” guidance to PLHIV being prosecuted of concerned about prospective prosecution for HIV-related crimes
• Communicating relevant legal concepts to diverse audiences
• Assist local counsel in criminal defense, appeals and/or commutation petitions on behalf PLHIV, as appropriate
• Provide advice, advocacy and direct representation to ALPP clients, as appropriate
• Attend weekly SERO staff meetings
• Attend weekly ALPP intake meetings
• Member of the Pennsylvania Bar or eligible to be a Certified Legal Intern under Pennsylvania Board of Bar Examiners Rule 322
• Available for local or remote work 35 hours a week
• Cultural competence and the ability to interact with individuals who are diverse in immigration status, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity
To apply for this two-year paid fellowship, please send an email explaining your interest in helping people living with HIV to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
January 17, 2023